WALKING AND BIKING TO SCHOOL
- Do not text while you are walking. It will distract you from being aware of your surroundings.
- When listening to music, take one ear bud out so you can hear approaching vehicles.
- Observe all traffic signals and/or the crossing guard – never cross the street against a light, even if you don’t see any traffic coming.
- Walk your bicycle through intersections.
- Walk with a buddy.
- Walk on sidewalks, where available.
- Wear reflective material . . . it makes you more visible to street traffic.
- When riding a bicycle make sure you wear a helmet.
- Bike riders should ride on the right, in the same direction as traffic, using appropriate hand signals.
- Bike riders should respect traffic lights and stop sign.
BUS STOP LOCATIONS
- Wait in a safe place for your bus, away from traffic and the street.
- Stay away from the bus until it comes to a complete stop and the operator signals you to enter.
- Be aware of the street traffic around you.
- Drivers of regular motor vehicles are required to follow certain rules of the road concerning school buses, however, not all do. Protect yourself and watch out!
- Remind students of the safety rules regarding waiting at bus stops.
- Remind all students boarding buses prior to daylight to wear light colored clothing.
- Remind students to stand ten (10) feet off the roadway.
- Remind students to utilize lighted areas if applicable.