RESOURCE ROOM 1-238, located in Student Services.
Stay Connected! Join the Resource Room Remind Group – Remind Class code is @mhs1-238 (join using the app or text class code to 81010) or use this direct link: MHS1-238
- Looking for college specific scholarship opportunities? Check out our College News Page – we share anything the colleges send to us there!
- 2021 BUC Family Night – Financial Aid Presentation, click HERE.
- Links to helpful videos that explain steps of the FAFSA.
- FAFSA “Data Keeper” page to help keep track of your FSA ID and FAFSA information, click HERE.
- Includes Florida Financial Aid (Bright Futures) on back page.
Use the searchable table showing all local scholarships available, including downloadable copies of applications. Paper copies available in the Resource Room – Student Services.
Download a list of all current scholarship opportunities: Scholarships 2021- as of Mar 11
Local Organizations & MHS Exclusive Scholarships***Refer to application for COMPLETE list of qualifications and submission requirements.***
|2/25/2022||Alpha Phi Alpha - BDL Scholarship||$1,000||Senior Male students only
Minimum 3.0 GPA
Application must be mailed
|3/1/2022||The Palmetto Club Scholarship||$1,000||Senior Female students only
Turn in to Mrs. Scheuerman by due date
Download Application Information
|3/31/2022||The American Legion Riders Scholarship||$1,500||Senior who is a member of JROTC, child of an active duty military member OR military veteran parent or relative.
|3/31/2022||Delta Sigma Theta - DB Alumni Chapter||$1,000||African-American Seniors only
Minimum 3.0 GPA, Un-Weighted
Download Verification Form
Download Release Authorization
|4/1/2022||The Links, Inc. Scholarship||$1,000||African-American Seniors only
Minimum 3.0 GPA
*must be submitted as one complete packet via email*
|4/1/2022||Theodore R. & Vivian M. Johnson Scholarship||TBD - renewable||Senior students with documented disability and financial need as determined by FAFSA.
See application for full details
Additional State & National Scholarship Opportunities Available:
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund: HSF-Scholarship
- Open until February 15, 2022
- Review website for complete details and requirements
- Must be of Hispanic heritage
- U.S. Citizen, permanent legal resident, or DACA
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Plan to enroll full time in an accredited 4yr college
- Submit FAFSA & State financial Aid application (if applicable)
- Horatio Alger Association: HoratioAlger
- Open to until March 15, 2022 to JUNIORS for National & State and to SENIORS for Targeted Scholarships
- Open until July 15, 2022 for Career & Technical Scholarships
- Review website for complete details and all opportunities
- Review all schools & opportunities under “Targeted” – the Denny Sanford is available for Nova Southeastern and the Patricia Cole is for students interested in pursuing a STEM career
- Scholarships range up to $50,000
- College Board Opportunity Scholarship: CB-OpportunityScholarship
- Open to Juniors and Seniors, ongoing program
- Earn opportunities to “win” money based on steps you complete along the way
- Review website for full program information and to “Opt-In”; download program flyer
- Winners are selected monthly!! This launched in 2019 and a MHS student won $1,000!!
- The United Negro College Fund (UNCF) has several scholarship opportunities with varying due dates; check website for complete details and links to programs: UNCF Scholarship Link
- Career One Stop is sponsored by the US Department of Labor and offers assistance with career exploration, training and jobs. It also offers a scholarship search engine: Scholarship Finder
- National and State Scholarships: FloridaNEXT
- Links to MANY scholarship opportunities, like Gates Millennium, Foot Locker, Burger King and SO MUCH MORE!
- Various deadlines….check link now!
- Volunteer Scholarships & Internship Programs: HERE
State & Federal Financial Aid
Florida Scholarship and Grant Programs
The State of Florida has one application that opens October 1st of a student’s Senior year. There are (13) programs that are included in State funding, including Bright Futures. Some programs are need based and will require a completed FAFSA to evaluate a student’s need for aid and some programs have an April 1st evaluation deadline, so it is best to submit the application as soon as possible after it opens. **Guidance Department will work with students at school in the Fall to complete the application** State funds may only be used in the State of Florida at all public and most private institutions.
More information on all available programs: FloridaStudentAid
Not Currently Available:
Students may check their Bright Futures eligibility progress throughout 9th-12th grade:FloridaShines-BrightFutures
2021-2022 Bright Futures Requirements: BFGuidelines
*New for 2021 – The FMS Bright Futures award will cover 100% of tuition and some fees at a State College (like Daytona State) for students enrolled in an associate degree program. Upon completing an associate degree, a student may use their award to pursue a baccalaureate degree and receive the standard 75% of tuition and specific fees. However, if used directly at a State University, the FMS will fund the established standard of 75% of tuition and specific fees.
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
The FAFSA is the application for Grants and Loans through the Federal Government; this includes the Pell Grant. The FAFSA application becomes available every October 1st and is completed for every year that you are in college. Every student that applies will qualify for some type of financial assistance and students that currently qualify for Free/Reduced lunch WILL qualify to receive the Pell Grant. FAFSA funds are able to be used Nationwide.
Students and their parent(s) must create an FSAid prior to completing the FAFSA. Your FSAid is your digital signature and will not change; it is used to digitally sign the FAFSA each year. Create your FSAid: FSAid
Complete the FAFSA: FAFSA
Complete information on how to complete the FAFSA: https://studentaid.gov/apply-for-aid/fafsa/filling-out
The State of Florida deadline for FAFSA application is May 15th. Several programs offered through Florida Funding require a completed FAFSA for eligibility. Each College/University has their own deadline, check with each school for details.
Video Tutorial on the 7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA – click HERE!
Do you receive free or reduced lunch? If so, you may qualify for:
If you qualify for the free and reduced lunch program, you are also eligible for ACT, SAT and college application fee waivers.
Scholarship & Funding Sites
Florida Trend’s NEXT Magazine (Prizes, Tips, Tools, Information)
ESA Foundation (Various Florida Scholarships)
SCHOLARSHIP SEARCH SITES
Create profiles at these free search sites to find the perfect scholarships for you!
Scholly (small monthly fee)
Are you a JUNIOR? There are scholarships that YOU can apply for!
Click HERE to search!
For applications, assistance with submissions or questions, please contact:
Ms. Trisha ScheuermanResource Room and Parent Liaison Student Services
The RESOURCE ROOM is located in Student Services, Bldg. 1-238.
It is open Monday-Thursday on normal scheduled school days, and may be accessed by students before school, after school or during lunch without a pass, or during class-time with a pass. Appointments are also available. Parents may also call to make an appointment, if needed.
There is information available about:
Lunch Applications (Free & Reduced Lunch Benefits)
SAT (PSAT)/ACT/ASVAB testing
College and Career Options
Scholarships & Financial Aid